Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˌəʊ.vəˈdu/
- (US) IPA(key): /ˌoʊ.vəɹˈdu/
- Homophone: overdue (US, some dialects)
- To do too much; to exceed what is proper or true in doing; to exaggerate; to carry too far.
- Anything so overdone is from the purpose of playing.
- To overtask or overtax; to fatigue; to exhaust.
- to overdo one's strength
- To surpass; to excel.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Tennyson to this entry?)
- To cook too much.
- to overdo the meat
to do too much of something
to cook too much
- overdo in The Century Dictionary, The Century Co., New York, 1911
- overdo in Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, G. & C. Merriam, 1913