Jump to navigation Jump to search
paccan (plural paccans)
- Alternative form of (tree).
- Alternative form of (nut).
- 1944, Thomas Jefferson, Edwin Morris Betts, editor, Thomas Jefferson's Garden Book (Gardening), Reprint edition, UNC Press Books, published 2002, →ISBN, page 118:
- … to send him some paccan nuts. … Jefferson in his reply wrote: "The Paccan nut is, as you conjecture the Illinois nut, ..., and enters into the Botanical name with is Juglans Paccan"
- 2004, Frederic Rosengarten, Jr., “Pecans”, in The Book of Edible Nuts (Cooking), Courier Dover Publications, →ISBN, page 172:
- A creamy liquid called powcohicoria or "hickory milk" was prepared by the Algonquins: pacan kernals were pounded into small pieces, cast into boiling water, strained and stirred.
- Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia, 1911