Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- Rhymes: -ɛmɪk
- Widespread; general.
- (medicine) Epidemic over a wide geographical area and affecting a large proportion of the population.
- World War I might have continued indefinitely if not for a pandemic outbreak of influenza.
pandemic (plural pandemics)
- A pandemic disease; a disease that hits a wide geographical area and affects a large proportion of the population.
2013 January 1, Katie L. Burke, “Ecological Dependency”, in American Scientist, volume 101, number 1, page 64:
- In his first book since the 2008 essay collection Natural Acts: A Sidelong View of Science and Nature, David Quammen looks at the natural world from yet another angle: the search for the next human pandemic, what epidemiologists call “the next big one.”
- See also Wikisaurus:pandemic