From Middle French patriote, from Late Latin patriōta (“fellow countryman”) from the Ancient Greek πατριώτης (patriṓtēs, “of the same country”), from πατρίς (patrís, “father land", "country”), from πατήρ (patḗr, “father”).
patriot (plural patriots)
- A person who loves and zealously supports and defends their country.
- 1713, Alexander Pope, Cato (Prologue):
- Such tears as patriots shed for dying laws.
- 1901, G. K. Chesterton, The Defendant, page 166:
- “My country, right or wrong”, is a thing that no patriot would think of saying except in a desperate case. It is like saying, “My mother, drunk or sober”.
- 1953, Sydney J. Harris, “Purely Personal Prejudices”, in Strictly Personal, Regnery, page 228:
- The difference between patriotism and nationalism is that the patriot is proud of his country for what it does, and the nationalist is proud of his country no matter what it does; the first attitude creates a feeling of responsibility, but the second a feeling of blind arrogance that leads to war.
- 2013, Simon Jenkins, Gibraltar and the Falklands deny the logic of history (in The Guardian, 14 August 2013)
- Nothing beats a gunboat. HMS Illustrious glided out of Portsmouth on Monday, past HMS Victory and cheering crowds of patriots. Within a week it will be off Gibraltar, a mere cannon shot from Cape Trafalgar.
- (archaic) A fellow countryman, a compatriot.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of J. S. Mill to this entry?), On Liberty
- See páter
- patriot in Příruční slovník jazyka českého, 1935–1957
- patriot in Slovník spisovného jazyka českého, 1960–1971, 1989
- (historical, chiefly Netherlands) A republican opponent of the House of Orange-Nassau during the second half of the eighteenth century, in favour of centralisation and administrative rationalisation.
- (obsolete) compatriot
patriot (not comparable)
|Inflection of patriot|
- a patriot
- “patriot” in The Bokmål Dictionary.
- a patriot
- “patriot” in The Nynorsk Dictionary.
patrìot, patriȍt m (Cyrillic spelling патрѝот, патрио̏т)
- “patriot” in Hrvatski jezični portal