Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: péricope
pericope (plural pericopes)
- (rhetoric) A section of text forming a coherent thought, suitable for use in a speech.
- A passage of Scripture to be read in public worship or a book containing such passages.
- The reader looked up the Sunday morning pericope.
- The oldest known system of pericopes in the Western Church is ascribed to Jerome.
- reading (passage of Scripture)
section of text forming a coherent thought
passage of religious Scripture
- The Lutheran Cyclopedia, 1954, 1975 Concordia Publishing House, St Louis p 614.
pericope f (plural pericopi)