Jump to navigation Jump to search
- perpetuall (obsolete)
- (General American) IPA(key): /pɚˈpɛt͡ʃuəl/
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /pəˈpɛtʃʊəl/, /pəˈpɛtjʊəl/
- Hyphenation: per‧pet‧u‧al
Audio (US) (file)
perpetual (not comparable)
- Lasting forever, or for an indefinitely long time
- Set up to be in effect or have tenure for an unlimited duration
- Continuing; uninterrupted
- 1834, L[etitia] E[lizabeth] L[andon], Francesca Carrara. […], volume II, London: Richard Bentley, […], (successor to Henry Colburn), OCLC 630079698, page 297:
- "And yet," returned Francesca, "the secret of Arden's sufferings seems to have been in himself. From earliest youth he indulged in vain contrasts and repinings, and even his very love was selfish and cruel. Think how much happiness he lost by his perpetual exaggerations!"
- 1986 June 6, Richard Feynman, “Personal observations on the reliability of the Shuttle”, in Presidential Commission on the Space Shuttle Challenger Accident, Report to the President:
- There are perpetual requests for changes as new payloads and new demands and modifications are suggested by the users.
- (botany) Flowering throughout the growing season
- By means of artificial hybridization, practised for a series of years, he has succeeded in producing a race of carnations which are perpetual bloomers.
- The hybrid perpetual roses as a rule require to be pruned to within 4 to 6 inches of the ground.
flowering throughout the growing season
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout § Translations.
perpetual (plural perpetuals)
- Ellipsis of ..
- perpetual at OneLook Dictionary Search
- (Balearic) IPA(key): /pəɾ.pə.tuˈal/
- (Central) IPA(key): /pər.pə.tuˈal/
- (Valencian) IPA(key): /peɾ.pe.tuˈal/
perpetual (masculine and feminine plural perpetuals)
- “perpetual” in Diccionari de la llengua catalana, segona edició, Institut d’Estudis Catalans.
- “perpetual”, in Gran Diccionari de la Llengua Catalana, Grup Enciclopèdia Catalana, 2022
- “perpetual” in Diccionari normatiu valencià, Acadèmia Valenciana de la Llengua.
- “perpetual” in Diccionari català-valencià-balear, Antoni Maria Alcover and Francesc de Borja Moll, 1962.