Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˌpɛskɪˈtɛəɹi.ən/, /ˌpɛsɪˈtɛəɹi.ən/
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˌpɛskɪˈtɛɹi.ən/, /ˌpɛsɪˈtɛɹi.ən/
- Rhymes: -ɛəɹiən
- Hyphenation: pes‧ce‧ta‧ri‧an
pescetarian (plural pescetarians)
- A person who consumes no animal flesh with the exception of fish or seafood. [c. 1990]
- 1999 March 26, Jessica R. Shawl, “‘Vegetarians’???”, in rec.food.veg, Usenet, message-ID <36FBD2DB.8237C15@scdt.intel.com>:
- I'm curious what you do when you encounter a friend, family member, whoever who claims to be a "vegetarian who eats fish". It *really* bothers me when this happens because it contributes to the assumption that I eat fish and I don't, because I am a vegetarian. I feel like it gives all vegetarians a bad name. Do you correct them? Do you not bother? And how do you correct them? I was thinking that saying something like "oh, you mean your[sic] a pescetarian" would be ok and give them the appropriate term. Speaking of which, how is "pescetarian" pronounced?
- 2004, Pierre Jean Cousin; Kirsten Hartvig, The Complete Guide to Nutritional Health: More Than 600 Foods and Recipes for Overcoming Illness and Boosting your Immunity, London: Duncan Baird Publishers, →ISBN, page 149:
- Eat for Immunity follows a plant-based approach to improving immunity that is relevant to every style of eating—carnivore, pescetarian, vegetarian and vegan.
- 2006, Ayun Halliday, Dirty Sugar Cookies: Culinary Observations, Questionable Taste, Emeryville, Calif.: Seal Press, →ISBN, page 151:
- "Why don't you just tell people you're a pescetarian?" a vegetarian I met recently asked, cutting me off midapologia for my beat-up leather jacket and my callow habit of behaving as if fish are neurologically no more complex than eggplants.
- pescetarian on Wikipedia.Wikipedia
- Paul McFedries (17 September 2003), “pescetarian”, in Word Spy, Logophilia Limited, retrieved 4 June 2017.
- Google Trends comparison of the usage of the 3 spelling variations (pescatarian, pescetarian, and piscetarian), using data from web searches (globally) of each variation since January 2004 (start of dataset) to current date.