Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- polititian (obsolete)
politician (plural politicians)
- One engaged in politics, especially an elected or appointed government official.
2013 August 31, “The Satirical Verses”, in The Economist, volume 408, number 8851:
- It is not just politicians who find aspects of the explosion in satire unwelcome. Thanks to the internet, professional purveyors of the stuff face a lot more competition. For once, the joke is at their expense. A niche craft practised by a talented few has turned into a globally popular hobby, and what was once considered audacious commentary is now mainstream.
Politicians should serve the country's interest.
- Specifically, one who regards elected political office as a career.
Unlike the other candidates, I'm not a politician.
- A politically active or interested person.
1863, “The Fountain Kloof”, in The Sunday at Home, page 211:
- You used to be such a politician. Do you remember the debates we held in Fitzroy's rooms?
Only real politicians are interested in this issue.
- A sly or ingratiating person.
1969, David E. Sanford, My Village, My World, page 90:
- Mrs. Dimitriou blushed at the compliment. "Antonios, you are such a politician," her husband chuckled.
There is a politician in every office.
one engaged in politics
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout#Translations.
Translations to be checked