Jump to navigation Jump to search
See also: precis
précis (plural précis)
- A summary or brief: a concise or abridged statement or view.
- to write a précis of a work; to summarise, abridge
- 1983, Philip Priestley, James McGuire, Learning to Help: Basic Skills Excercises, →ISBN, Counseling, page 71:
- If the inital [sic] passage consists of a series of paragraphs, each with a one-sentence summary, the individual's success in managing to précis the essential content of the message can then be assessed
- 1996, Richard Palmer, “Creative Doodling: Note-taking for fun and profit”, in Brain train: studying for success, Second edition edition, Taylor & Francis, →ISBN, page 124:
- Nevertheless, to be required to précis say 5000 words on a single sheet of A4 has the advantage of simplicity, even if it isn’t easy.
- 2002, Colin Jones, The Great Nation, Penguin 2003, p. 28:
- Télémaque would not only be read widely in schools throughout the century, it would also be cited approvingly in the Encyclopédie, cherished by Jean-Jacques Rousseau, précised by Louis XVI, and its author saluted by Robespierre as ‘tutor to the human race’.
- 2007, Disability Rights Commission, Code of practice post-16: code of practice (revised) for providers of post-16 education and related services, Large print version edition, The Stationery Office, →ISBN, page 101:
- She also asks if she can leave out the questions asking her to write a business letter and to précis because she feels that these questions would substantially disadvantage her because of her dyslexia. The education provider would not have to make this adjustment because these questions are there to determine her competence at writing and précising, so are part of the competence standard being tested.
- Which does not leave doubt; specific, explicit
- Done in a precise and reliable fashion
- (Sound) Well perceived; sharp
- (Of language or writing) Demonstrating precision, concision and accuracy
- Said of someone whose language expresses such qualities
- (Measure) calculated or measured with precision
précis m (plural précis)
- “précis”, in Trésor de la langue française informatisé [Digitized Treasury of the French Language], 2012.