Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- Descending far below the surface; opening or reaching to great depth; deep.
- Very deep; very serious
- Intellectually deep; entering far into subjects; reaching to the bottom of a matter, or of a branch of learning; thorough; as, a profound investigation or treatise; a profound scholar; profound wisdom.
- Characterized by intensity; deeply felt; pervading; overmastering; far-reaching; strongly impressed; as, a profound sleep.
- Bending low, exhibiting or expressing deep humility; lowly; submissive; as, a profound bow.
descending below the surface
characterized by intensity
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked
- (obsolete) The deep; the sea; the ocean.
- God in the fathomless profound / Hath all this choice commanders drowned. Sandys.
- (obsolete) An abyss.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Milton to this entry?)
- (obsolete) To cause to sink deeply; to cause to dive or penetrate far down.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Sir Thomas Browne to this entry?)
- (obsolete) To dive deeply; to penetrate.
profound m (feminine profounde)