Jump to navigation Jump to search
Audio (US) (file)
- Tending to prohibit, preclude, or disallow.
- Some countries are more prohibitive than others when it comes to hot topics like euthanasia and cloning.
- Costly to the extreme; beyond budget.
- I'd like to visit Europe someday, but the cost is prohibitive right now.
- (Of a contender in a competition): presumptive winner, likely winner.
- 2017 July 23, Olivia Beavers, “GOP consultant:Kid Rock would be prohibitive favorite if he enters Michigan Senate race.”, in The Hill, 2020 Capitol Hill Publishing Corp., archived from the original on 07/24/2017:
- “I think there’s no question about that. I think he’s the prohibitive favorite if he gets in,” Dennis Lennox, a Michigan-based Republican political consultant, told Politico.
- 2020, Andrew Yang endorses Joe Biden, and delivers message to Bernie Sanders supporters, CNN, published 2020, archived from the original on 15 March 2020, 00:00:20 from the start:
- [B]ut the math says Joe is our prohibitive nominee, we need to bring the party together[.]
prohibitive (plural prohibitives)