Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- Of, resembling, or expressed as a proverb, cliché, fable, or fairy tale.
- Widely known; famous; stereotypical.
- I grew up in a prefab house on Main Street in 1950s suburbia, the second and last child of a proverbial nuclear family.
of a proverb
widely known; famous
proverbial (plural proverbials)
- (euphemistic) Used to replace a word that might be considered unacceptable in a particular situation, when using a well-known phrase.
- I think we should be prepared in case the proverbial hits the fan.
- (euphemistic) The groin or the testicles.
proverbial (plural proverbiales)