Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Of, resembling, or expressed as a proverb, cliché, fable, or fairy tale.
- Not used in a literal sense, but as the subject of a well-known metaphor.
- the proverbial smoking gun
- proverbial spilled milk
- Widely known; famous; stereotypical.
- I grew up in a prefab house on Main Street in 1950s suburbia, the second and last child of a proverbial nuclear family.
of a proverb
widely known; famous
proverbial (plural proverbials)
- (euphemistic) Used to replace a word that might be considered unacceptable in a particular situation, when using a well-known phrase.
- (euphemistic) The groin or the testicles.
- You'll find they've got you by the proverbials.
proverbial (plural proverbiales)