pulpit (plural pulpits)
- A raised platform in a church, usually enclosed, where the minister or preacher stands when giving the sermon.
- Activity performed from a church pulpit, in other words, preaching, sermons, religious teaching, the preaching profession, preachers collectively or an individual preaching position; by extension: bully pulpit.
- A raised desk, lectern, or platform for an orator or public speaker.
- (nautical) The railing at the bow of a boat, which sometimes extends past the deck. It is sometimes referred to as bow pulpit. The railing at the stern of the boat is sometimes referred to as a stern pulpit; other texts use the perhaps more appropriate term pushpit.
- A bow platform for harpooning.
- (Britain military slang, dated) A plane's cockpit.
raised platform in church
pulpit m inan
- desktop (the main graphical user interface of an operating system)