From put + by
put by (third-person singular simple present puts by, present participle putting by, simple past and past participle put by)
- To preserve food by canning, freezing, drying, etc.
- Our family has been putting food by for generations.
- To perform an action without attracting attention.
- I managed to put that transaction by accounts payable.
- To save money.
- I have put a few hundred pounds by for a rainy day.
- To run a ship aground intentionally to avoid a collision
- The Bow Spring put by to avoid colliding with the Manzanillo II