Jump to navigation Jump to search
See also: ràpid
- Very swift or quick.
- a rapid stream
- rapid growth
- rapid improvement
- 1922, Ben Travers, chapter 5, in A Cuckoo in the Nest:
- The most rapid and most seductive transition in all human nature is that which attends the palliation of a ravenous appetite. There is something humiliating about it. […] Can those harmless but refined fellow-diners be the selfish cads whose gluttony and personal appearance so raised your contemptuous wrath on your arrival?
- 2013 June 21, Chico Harlan, “Japan pockets the subsidy …”, in The Guardian Weekly, volume 189, number 2, page 30:
- Across Japan, technology companies and private investors are racing to install devices that until recently they had little interest in: solar panels. Massive solar parks are popping up as part of a rapid build-up that one developer likened to an "explosion."
- Steep, changing altitude quickly. (of a slope)
- Needing only a brief exposure time. (of a lens, plate, film, etc.)
- (England, dialectal) Violent, severe.
- (obsolete, dialectal) Happy.
Very swift or quick
rapid (plural rapids)
- (often in the plural) a rough section of a river or stream which is difficult to navigate due to the swift and turbulent motion of the water.
- (dated) A burst of rapid fire.
- (chess) Short for .
- 2010, Garry Kasparov, How Life Imitates Chess, page 41:
- In these rapid games we had just twenty-five minutes each to make all our moves, a far cry from traditional chess, where games can last up to seven hours.
- 2015, Mark Dvoretsky, For Friends and Colleagues, volume 2:
- In order to avoid misunderstanding, I must note that I object to the attempts to displace normal chess with fast play, not rapid or blitz in general. I love them both, and, if I were to choose which to play, classic or rapid, I would choose rapid.
- 2022 September 2, Nitish Pahwa, Magnus Carlsen (quoted), “The World’s Greatest Chess Player Cannot Wait to Battle His Young, Rising Rivals”, in Slate:
- I haven’t played against Wesley So—I’ve played him a bunch online in rapid games, but not in classical rounds.
section of river
Declension of rapid