rebuttal (plural rebuttals)
- The act of refuting something by making a contrary argument, or presenting contrary evidence.
- A statement, designed to refute or negate specific arguments put forward by opponents.
- (law) A pleading by a defendant in reply to the evidence put forward by a plaintiff or the prosecution.
act of refuting something by making a contrary argument
- rebuttal in Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, G. & C. Merriam, 1913
- rebuttal in The Century Dictionary, The Century Co., New York, 1911