- (UK) IPA(key): /ɹɪˈkɒn/, /ˈɹiːkɒn/
Audio (Southern England) (file) Audio (Southern England) (file)
- (US) IPA(key): /ˈɹikɑn/, /ɹɪˈkɑn/
- Rhymes: (UK) -ɒn, (UK) -iːkɒn, (US) -ɑn
Contracted form of reconnaissance.
- (chiefly US, military slang) reconnaissance.
- 2008, BioWare, Mass Effect (Science Fiction), Redwood City: Electronic Arts, →ISBN, →OCLC, PC, scene: Carbonaceous Asteroid, Phoenix:
- During a scan of the Phoenix system asteroid field, you detected an odd energy reading that Tali determined was quarian in nature. She led a recon team into the asteroid field, where she discovered an abandoned freighter.
- recce (British, Canadian)
Contracted form of recombination + -on, coined by American molecular biologist Seymour Benzer in 1957 as " […] the smallest element in the one-dimensional array that is interchangeable (but not divisible) by genetic recombination."
recon (plural recons)