From repousar (“to repose; to rest”), from Medieval Latin repausare (“to repose”), from Latin re- (“again”) + pausare (“to pause, rest”), from pausa (“pause”), from Ancient Greek παῦσις (paûsis).
- (Brazil) IPA(key): /ʁe.ˈpow.zu/
- (South Brazil) IPA(key): /he.ˈpow.zo/
- (Portugal) IPA(key): /ʁɨ.ˈpow.zu/
- Hyphenation: re‧pou‧so
repouso m (plural repousos)
- (uncountable) repose; rest
- the act of resting
- (uncountable) repose; quietness
- (uncountable) sleep (state of reduced consciousness for resting)
- (euphemistic, uncountable) the state of being dead
For usage examples of this term, see Citations:repouso.
- (rest): descanso, folga, ócio, pausa
- (act of resting): descanso
- (repose): calma, silêncio, sossego, tranquilidade
- (sleep): sono
- (state of being dead): morte
- (state of being dead): vida
For usage examples of this term, see Citations:repousar.