Jump to navigation Jump to search
See also: représentation
- repræsentation (archaic)
- That which represents something else.
- The Venus of Willendorf was an early representation of the female body.
- 2012 October 8, Daniel W. Patterson, The True Image: Gravestone Art and the Culture of Scotch Irish Settlers in the Pennsylvania and Carolina Backcountry, UNC Press Books, →ISBN, page 141:
- The second and third quarters of the shield are indecipherable on the stone but clearer in two other representations of the arms, a painted wooden funeral hatchment for Mary Davie […]
- The act of representing.
- We are no longer happy with your representation of our company at trade events.
- (law) The lawyers and staff who argue on behalf of another in court.
- People who cannot afford representation are eligible for government assistance.
- (politics) The ability to elect a representative to speak on one's behalf in government; the role of this representative in government.
- The lack of representation in the British parliament was one of the main factors behind the American Revolution.
- (mathematics) An object that describes an abstract group in terms of linear transformations of vector spaces; (more formally) a homomorphism from a group on a vector space to the general linear group (group of all bijective linear transformations) on the space.
- A figure, image or idea that substitutes reality.
- A theatrical performance.
- (image, form): likeness
- faithful representation (mathematics)
- representation space
- under-representation, underrepresentation
that which represents something else
people who speak on behalf of another in court
politics: ability to elect a representative
mathematics: object that describes an abstract group in terms of linear transformations of vector spaces
figure, image or idea that substitutes reality
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout § Translations.
Translations to be checked
representation (plural representations)
- (medicine) An act of representing, i.e. presenting again.
- rates of representation to the emergency department
- representation at OneLook Dictionary Search
- representation in Keywords for Today: A 21st Century Vocabulary, edited by The Keywords Project, Colin MacCabe, Holly Yanacek, 2018.
- representation in Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, G. & C. Merriam, 1913.
- representation in The Century Dictionary, The Century Co., New York, 1911.