Jump to navigation Jump to search
See also: Rouge
- 1 English
- 2 French
- 3 Middle French
- Red or pink makeup to add colour to the cheeks; blusher.
- 1956, Delano Ames, chapter 4, in Crime out of Mind:
- Before we could embark on the details of his mother's health we were joined by a fair, plump woman of indefinite age, who had once been—and at moments still was—very pretty. She wore a simple black silk dress, perhaps in deference to Tilly's death, though the note of mourning was jarred by flamboyant aquamarine ear-rings and too much rouge.
- Any reddish pink colour.
- (Canadian football) A single point awarded when a team kicks the ball out of its opponent's end zone, or when a kicked ball becomes dead within the non-kicking team's end zone. Etymology uncertain; it is thought that in the early years of the sport, a red flag indicated that a single had been scored.
- In the Eton College field game, a five-point score awarded for kicking the ball so that it deflects off one of the opposing players and goes beyond the opposition's end of the pitch, and then touching the ball.
- (chemistry, archaic) A red amorphous powder consisting of ferric oxide, used in polishing and as a cosmetic; crocus; jeweller's rouge.
- (makeup): blush
blush — see blush
- (transitive, intransitive) To apply rouge (makeup).
- She rouged her face before setting out for the party.
- (reds) red; blood red, brick red, burgundy, cardinal, carmine, carnation, cerise, cherry, cherry red, Chinese red, cinnabar, claret, crimson, damask, fire brick, fire engine red, flame, flamingo, fuchsia, garnet, geranium, gules, hot pink, incarnadine, Indian red, magenta, maroon, misty rose, nacarat, oxblood, pillar-box red, pink, Pompeian red, poppy, raspberry, red violet, rose, rouge, ruby, ruddy, salmon, sanguine, scarlet, shocking pink, stammel, strawberry, Turkey red, Venetian red, vermillion, vinaceous, vinous, violet red, wine
rouge (plural rouges)
- red (of a red color)
- Le sang est rouge. - Blood is red.
- red (left-wing, socialist)
- L'armée rouge. - Red Army.
rouge m (plural rouges)
- gueules (heraldry)
- Serbo-Croatian: ruž
|Colors in French · couleurs (layout · text)|
|rose||rouge ; cramoisi||orange||jaune ; crème|
|vert citron||vert||cyan ; bleu canard|
|azur||bleu||violet ; indigo||magenta ; pourpre|
- “rouge” in le Trésor de la langue française informatisé (The Digitized Treasury of the French Language).
rouge m (uncountable)
rouge m, f (plural rouges)
- French: rouge