run aground (third-person singular simple present runs aground, present participle running aground, simple past ran aground, past participle run aground)
- (intransitive) For a vessel to be immobilized by water too shallow to allow it to float.
- The ship ran aground and had to be towed back out to sea.
- (transitive) To cause a vessel to run aground.
- The drunken helmsman ran the ship aground.
to be immobilized by shallow water
- Danish: strande
- Dutch: stranden (nl), vastlopen (nl)
- Finnish: ajaa karille (hit the bottom, especially a rock, accidentally), ajaa rantaan (on purpose, in a controlled manner)
- French: échouer (fr)
- Galician: embarrancar (gl), encallar (gl), varar (gl)
- German: auf Grund laufen (intransitive), auf Grund setzen (transitive), auf Grund laufen lassen (transitive), auflaufen (de)
- Hungarian: zátonyra fut (hu), megfeneklik (hu)
to cause a vessel to run aground