Originally sampiere, from French Saint Pierre, the patron saint of fishermen who often harvested the plant.
- (UK) IPA(key): /ˈsæm.faɪ.ə(ɹ)/, /ˈsæm.fə(ɹ)/
samphire (plural samphires)
- One of several salt-tolerant plants, some edible
- The marsh samphire, glasswort, genus Salicornia, a plant once burned to produce ash used to make soda glass.
- The rock samphire, Crithmum maritimum.
- The golden samphire, Inula crithmoides.
- Borrichia arborescens of the West Indies.
- Plants of genus Sarcocornia
- Plants of genus Tecticornia