Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- Rhymes: -uːlɪŋ
- Training or instruction.
- Institutional education; attendance of school.
- I never let my schooling interfere with my education.
2013 July 19, Peter Wilby, “Finland spreads word on schools”, in The Guardian Weekly, volume 189, number 6, page 30:
- Imagine a country where children do nothing but play until they start compulsory schooling at age seven. Then, without exception, they attend comprehensives until the age of 16. Charging school fees is illegal, and so is sorting pupils into ability groups by streaming or setting.
- (dressage) The training of a horse at dressage.
- (obsolete) Discipline; reproof; reprimand.
- He gave his son a good schooling.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Sir Walter Scott to this entry?)
- (obsolete) Compensation for instruction; price or reward paid to an instructor for teaching pupils.
training or instruction
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked