Jump to navigation Jump to search
scutellum (plural scutella)
- Any of several shield-shaped structures in insects, grasses etc
- (lichenology) A rounded apothecium having an elevated rim formed of the proper thallus, the fructification of certain lichens.
- (zoology) The third of the four pieces forming the upper part of a thoracic segment of an insect. It follows the scutum, and is followed by the small postscutellum.
- (zoology) One of the transverse scales on the tarsi and toes of birds.
- (botany) A grass seed cotyledon that is highly modified for absorption.
scutellum m (plural scutellums)