segja upp (weak verb, third-person singular past indicative sagði upp, supine sagt upp)
- (transitive, takes the dative) to lay off, resign, dismiss, axe,
- Þeir sögðu mér upp vegna þess að ég mætti aldrei.
- They laid me of because I never showed up.
- (transitive, takes the dative) to break up with, to jilt syn.
- Hann sagði henni upp.
- He broke up with her.
- (transitive, takes the dative, of a subscription) to stop, to give up, to relinquish, to give notice to terminate
- Að segja upp áskrift.
- To give up subscription.
- Við segjum upp blaðinu í næstu viku.
- We'll stop subscription of the paper next week.