Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
shootout (plural shootouts)
- A decisive battle, especially a gunfight.
- (soccer) A penalty shootout.
- (ice hockey) A series of penalty shots during which a tied game is resolved.
- (poker) A multitable poker tournament in which only the last player on a table goes on to the next.
- Example of shooutout tournament: 64 players entered, they are in 8 tables of 8 players each. The winner in each table goes on to the final table, also consisting of 8 players.
- (sports): SO (abbreviation)