Jump to navigation Jump to search
shroud (plural shrouds)
- That which clothes, covers, conceals, or protects; a garment.
- Especially, the dress for the dead; a winding sheet.
- That which covers or shelters like a shroud.
- A covered place used as a retreat or shelter, as a cave or den; also, a vault or crypt.
- The branching top of a tree; foliage.
- (nautical) A rope or cable serving to support the mast sideways.
- See also Wikipedia article on Shroud (sailing)
- One of the two annular plates at the periphery of a water wheel, which form the sides of the buckets; a shroud plate.
dress for the dead
- To cover with a shroud.
- To conceal or hide from view, as if by a shroud.
- The details of the plot were shrouded in mystery.
- The truth behind their weekend retreat was shrouded in obscurity.
- To take shelter or harbour.