Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (manner) In a simple way or state; considered in or by itself; without addition; alone.
- Antonym: complexly
- (manner) Plainly; without art or subtlety
- (manner) Weakly; foolishly; stupidly.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Johnson to this entry?)
- (focus) Merely; solely.
- 2013 June 1, “Ideas coming down the track”, in The Economist, volume 407, number 8838, page 13 (Technology Quarterly):
- A “moving platform” scheme […] is more technologically ambitious than maglev trains even though it relies on conventional rails. […] This set-up solves several problems […]. Stopping high-speed trains wastes energy and time, so why not simply slow them down enough for a moving platform to pull alongside?
- I was simply asking a question.
- (degree) absolutely, positively.
- (speech act) Frankly.
in a simple manner
- Alternative form of