skull and crossbones
Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: skull-and-crossbones
- An outline of a human skull and two crossed bones; a symbol of death traditionally used on the Jolly Roger, but now used as a warning on poisons.
1973, Richard C. Colton, Practical handbook of industrial traffic management, page 579:
- When poisons are involved, red skull and crossbones are added.
1994, William G. Boltz, The origin and early development of the Chinese writing system, page 16:
- The skull and crossbones is, to be sure, a visual sign that communicates a very specific meaning.
1996, Cary Nelson; Jefferson Hendricks, Madrid 1937: letters of the Abraham Lincoln Brigade from the Spanish, page 554:
- There was a big red cross in the center and around it were two skull and crossbones
2005, Jason Corburn, Street science: community knowledge and environmental health justice, page 182:
- Skulls and crossbones- were used to label toxic storage sites