- (idiomatic) Idle conversation, typically on innocuous or unimportant subjects, usually engaged in at social gatherings out of politeness.
- 1910, P. G. Wodehouse, Misunderstood:
- If he had a fault as a conversationalist, it was a certain tendency to monotony, a certain lack of sparkle and variety in his small-talk.
- 2009 June 10, John Cloud, “Michael Jackson 1958–2009”, in Time:
- Yet for so public a figure, Jackson was socially awkward, inept at small talk and terrified when the distant audience became an adoring mob.