Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (intransitive) To raise a corner of the upper lip slightly, especially in scorn
- (transitive) To utter with a grimace or contemptuous expression; to say sneeringly.
- to sneer fulsome lies at a person
"Now here's someone who should attend privilege workshops," sneered she.
raise a corner of the upper lip slightly in scorn
sneer (plural sneers)
- A facial expression where one slightly raises one corner of the upper lip, generally indicating scorn.
- A display of contempt; scorn.
1963, Margery Allingham, chapter 8, in The China Governess:
- It was a casual sneer, obviously one of a long line. There was hatred behind it, but of a quiet, chronic type, nothing new or unduly virulent, and he was taken aback by the flicker of amazed incredulity that passed over the younger man's ravaged face.
facial expression that indicates scorn