son of a gun
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (euphemistic) son of a bitch
- That son of a gun stole my wallet!
- 1690, anonymous, Teagueland Jeſts, or Bogg-Witticisms, part 2, page 138:
- A plaugue tauke dee, dou damn’d Shon of a Gun, de Deevil carry dee away alive for me; […]
- 1726, The British Apollo, volume 2, third edition, [London]: Theodore Sanders, page 379:
- You Apollo's son, You're a son of a gun
- Used encouragingly or to compliment
- You son of a gun, you did it!
- (euphemistic) Used to express anger, contempt, disgust, astonishment, disappointment, etc.
- Son of a gun! I just got stung by a wasp!