Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- To display; to spread.
- our ensigns splayed
- To dislocate, as a shoulder bone.
- (obsolete, Britain, dialect) To spay; to castrate.
- To turn on one side; to render oblique; to slope or slant, as the side of a door, window, etc.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Oxf. Gloss to this entry?)
- (computing theory, transitive) To rearrange (a splay tree) so that a desired element is placed at the root.
To dislocate, as a shoulder bone — see dislocate
To turn on one side; to render oblique; to slope or slant, as the side of a door, window, etc.
- spread out; turned outward
- flat and ungainly
- M. Arnold
- Something splay, something blunt-edged, unhandy, and infelicitous.
Displayed; spread out; turned outward; hence, flat; ungainly; as, splay shoulders
splay (plural splays)
- A slope or bevel, especially of the sides of a door or window, by which the opening is made larger at one face of the wall than at the other, or larger at each of the faces than it is between them.
A slope or bevel