Jump to navigation Jump to search
squarehead (plural squareheads)
- (slang) An honest person; a non-criminal.
- (slang) A foreigner of Germanic origin, especially a German, Dutch, or Scandinavian person.
- 1982, Lawrence Durrell, Constance, Faber & Faber 2004 (Avignon Quintet), page 771:
- The squarehead bent his chin to his breast and said, "Very well. In an hour."
- (slang) A socially conventional or boring person.
- 'Squarehead' is a literal translation of the term tête carrée used by French-Canadians to describe English-Canadians, especially those who do not or prefer not to speak French.
- OED, 2nd edition, 1989