Jump to navigation Jump to search
See also: stockingfoot
stocking-foot (plural stocking-feet)
- The part of socks, stockings, hosiery, or other flexible footwear that surrounds the foot.
- Experienced fly-fishers prefer stockingfoot waders.
- 1847, Charlotte Brontë, Jane Eyre, Chapter XIX
- I gave her a shilling. She put it into an old stocking-foot which she took out of her pocket, and having tied it round and returned it, she told me to hold out my hand. I did. She arched her face to the palm, and pored over it without touching it.
- An unshod foot clad only in socks, stockings, or other hosiery.