Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (UK) IPA(key): /ˈstəʊ.ɪk.əl.i/, /ˈstəʊ.ɪk.li/
- (US) IPA(key): /ˈstoʊ.ɪk.əl.i/, /ˈstoʊ.ɪk.li/
Audio (US, Northern California) (file) Audio (AU) (file)
- In a manner that endures pain and hardship without outwardly showing suffering or expressing complaint.
- 2010, Christopher Reich, “chapter 41”, in Rules of Betrayal, page 208:
- Frank Connor look the news stoically and, except for a sudden and nearly unnoticed grimace, with no outward show of emotion.
- In an unfeeling manner that inwardly is unaffected by pain or distress.
- 1985, Larry Morton Gernsbacher, The Suicide Syndrome: Origins, Manifestations, and Alleviation of Human Self-destructiveness, page 143:
- Regardless of how involved Carl outwardly appears, inside he holds himself stoically detached.
- (philosophy) In a manner consistent with the philosophy of stoicism.
in a manner that endures pain and hardship without outwardly showing suffering
in an unfeeling manner that inwardly is unaffected by pain or distress
in a manner consistent with the philosophy of stoicism