Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˌsʌbdʒʊˈɡeɪʃən/
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˌsʌbdʒəˈɡeɪʃən/
- Rhymes: -eɪʃən
- Hyphenation: sub‧ju‧ga‧tion
- The act of subjugating.
- The state of being subjugated; forced control by others.
- 2012 March-April, Jan Sapp, “Race Finished”, in American Scientist, volume 100, number 2, page 164:
- Few concepts are as emotionally charged as that of race. The word conjures up a mixture of associations—culture, ethnicity, genetics, subjugation, exclusion and persecution. But is the tragic history of efforts to define groups of people by race really a matter of the misuse of science, the abuse of a valid biological concept?
act of subjugating
state of being subjugated