Jump to navigation Jump to search
substantivity (plural substantivities)
- The state of being substantive.
- The ability of a chemical or dye to stick to a target.
- Protein bound chlorhexidine releases slowly leading to prolonged activity. This phenomenon is known as substantivity and allows for a longer duration of antimicrobial action against a broad spectrum of bacteria and fungi. 
- 2015, Richard Blackburn, Sustainable Apparel: Production, Processing and Recycling, Woodhead Publishing, page 140:
- The term substantivity refers to the ability of a dye to transfer from a solution onto a textile fiber and to "set".