Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- Rhymes: -ɜː(ɹ)veɪ
- Rhymes: -eɪ
survey (plural surveys)
- The act of surveying; a general view, as from above.
- A particular view; an examination, especially an official examination, of a particular group of items, in order to ascertain the condition, quantity, or quality.
- A survey of the stores of a ship; a survey of roads and bridges; a survey of buildings.
- An examination of the opinions of a group of people.
- The local council conducted a survey of its residents to help it decide whether to go ahead with the roadside waste collection service.
- A questionnaire or similar instrument used for examining the opinions of a group of people.
- I just filled out that survey on roadside waste pick-up.
- The operation of finding the contour, dimensions, position, or other particulars of any part of the Earth's surface.
- A measured plan and description of any portion of country.
- The owners of the adjoining plots had conflicting surveys.
act of surveying
operation of finding the contour, dimensions or position as any part of the Earth's surface
- To inspect, or take a view of; to view with attention, as from a high place; to overlook
- He stood on a hill, and surveyed the surrounding country.
- To view with a scrutinizing eye; to examine.
- To examine with reference to condition, situation, value, etc.; to examine and ascertain the state of
- It was his job to survey buildings in order to determine their value and risks.
- To determine the form, extent, position, etc., of, as a tract of land, a coast, harbor, or the like, by means of linear and angular measurements, and the application of the principles of geometry and trigonometry
- to survey land or a coast
- To examine and ascertain, as the boundaries and royalties of a manor, the tenure of the tenants, and the rent and value of the same.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Jacob (Law Dict.) to this entry?)
- To investigate the opinions or experiences of people by asking them questions.
to view as from a high place
to inspect; to examine
to determine the status or value of
to determine the form or borders of
To investigate the opinions or experiences of people by asking questions
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.