sweeper (plural sweepers)
- One who sweeps floors or chimneys.
- A detector (for mines).
- A small, tropical marine perciform fish of the family Pempheridae, typically with deeply keeled, compressed bodies and large eyes.
- (soccer) A defender who is the last line of defence before the goalkeeper.
- (curling) A person who sweeps the ice ahead of the rock in play.
- (cricket) A batsman who plays sweep shots.
- (cricket) A fielding position along the boundary; a fielder in this position.
- A tree that has fallen over a river with branches extending into the water.
- ..tree will be hanging over the water about canoe level (a sweeper).. Basic Essentials Canoe Paddling, 3rd - Page 62
- So named because they can sweep passengers from a boat, they can also capsize a canoe, especially when paddlers lean too far away from the sweeper.. River Running: Canoeing, Kayaking, Rowing, Rafting - Page 102
- A carpet sweeper.
- (US, regional, including Ohio and Indiana) A vacuum cleaner.
one who sweeps floors or chimneys