Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
Unknown. Thought to derive from Dutch (hence South Africa and Limerick (which had a significant Dutch community)), or may be derived from tacky, or slightly sticky, which the rubber shoes might seem.
- Rhymes: -æki
tackie (plural tackies)
- (South African) A canvas shoe with a rubber sole.
- (Ireland, Limerick) Another word for trainers or runners.
- (South African slang) A car-tyre or any vehicle’s tyre.
- The hot rod had fat tackies.
- tough tackie – tough luck.