Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
Unknown. Thought to derive from Dutch (hence South Africa and Limerick, which had a significant Dutch community), or may be derived from tacky (“slightly sticky”), which the rubber shoes might seem to be.
- Rhymes: -æki
tackie (plural tackies)
- (South Africa) A canvas shoe with a rubber sole.
- (Ireland, Limerick) Another word for trainers or runners.
- (South Africa, slang) The tyre of a car or other vehicle.
- The hot rod had fat tackies.
- tough tackie – tough luck.