Jump to navigation Jump to search
See also: takedown
- To remove something from a wall or similar vertical surface to which it is fixed.
- He took down the picture and replaced it with the framed photograph.
- To remove something from a hanging position.
- We need to take down the curtains to be cleaned.
- To write down as a note, especially to record something spoken.
- If you have a pen, you can take down my phone number.
- To remove a temporary structure such as scaffolding.
- When everything else is packed, we can take down the tent.
- To lower an item of clothing without removing it.
- The doctor asked me to take down my trousers.
- (of a person) To crush; to destroy or kill.
- 2012, Kira Sinclair, Take It Down, →ISBN, page 191:
- It took me eight years to get enough on the asshole to try and take him down.
- 2014, Mallery Malone, Take Down, →ISBN:
- They'd had occasion to see Peyton Armistead in all his righteous fury and she knew they wouldn't hesitate to take him down if she gave the word.
- 2014, David Mitchell, The Bone Clocks, →ISBN, page 431:
- So Marinus, me and a few other unthanked individuals - Atemporals for the most part, with some mortal collaborators -- make it our business to ...take them down.
- (combat sports) To force one’s opponent off their feet in order to transition from striking to grappling in jujitsu, mixed martial arts, etc.
- (intransitive, colloquial) To collapse or become incapacitated from illness or fatigue.
- 1880, Albert Adams Graham, History of Richland County, Ohio, page 254:
- " […] I mind the year after we came, my father took down with the ague, and things looked dark enough for a while; but, when old Billy Slater, on the Clear Fork killed a fat cow, he loaded a lot of the choicest on to a horse and brought it to us; […]"
remove something from a wall or similar vertical surface to which it is fixed
remove something from a hanging position
write a note, usually recording something that is said
remove a temporary structure such as scaffolding
lower an item of clothing without removing it