Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
noun use of the verb to take off
takeoff (plural takeoffs)
- The rising or ascent of an aircraft or rocket into flight.
- The flight was smooth, but the takeoff was a little rough.
- A parody or lampoon of someone or something.
- Weird Al's song "Lasagna" is a takeoff on the popular song "La Bamba".
- 1897, Edward Bellamy, Equality, ch. 23
- I came across a little pamphlet of the period, yellow and almost undecipherable, which, on examination, I found to be a rather amusing skit or satirical take-off on the profit system.
- A quantification, especially of building materials.
- I'll give you an estimate after I do the quantity takeoffs for the trusses and structural steel.
start of flight