Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /tɛkˈnɒlədʒi/
Audio (RP) (file)
- (General American) IPA(key): /tɛkˈnɑlədʒi/
- Rhymes: -ɒlədʒi
- (uncountable) The organization of knowledge for practical purposes.
- 2013 June 21, Chico Harlan, “Japan pockets the subsidy …”, in The Guardian Weekly, volume 189, number 2, page 30:
- Across Japan, technology companies and private investors are racing to install devices that until recently they had little interest in: solar panels. Massive solar parks are popping up as part of a rapid build-up that one developer likened to an "explosion."
- All the different and usable technologies developed by a culture or people.
- (archaic) A discourse or treatise on the arts.
- Adjectives often applied to "technology": assistive, automotive, biological, chemical, domestic, educational, environmental, geospatial, industrial, instructional, medical, microbial, military, nuclear, visual, advanced, sophisticated, high, modern, outdated, obsolete, simple, complex, medieval, ancient, safe, secure, effective, efficient, mechanical, electrical, electronic, emerging, alternative, appropriate, clean, disruptive.
- In some milieus and contexts, the word "technology" is understood to be limited to digital communications technology, e.g. "technology companies were overvalued during the dotcom bubble."
- → Japanese: テクノロジー (tekunorojī)
the study of or a collection of techniques
a particular technological concept
body of tools
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout § Translations.
Translations to be checked
- technology at OneLook Dictionary Search
- technology in Keywords for Today: A 21st Century Vocabulary, edited by The Keywords Project, Colin MacCabe, Holly Yanacek, 2018.
- "technology" in Raymond Williams, Keywords (revised), 1983, Fontana Press, page 315.
- technology in Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, G. & C. Merriam, 1913.
- technology in The Century Dictionary, New York, N.Y.: The Century Co., 1911.