Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (slang, video games, Britain, Australia) The game of Pong, or any TV game closely based on it.
1976, Elaine Feinstein, The ecstasy of Dr Miriam Garner, page 101:
- The monitored heart-rate on a small screen, like a hesitant green version of the telly tennis he'd played in pubs or railway stations.
- 1979, New Scientist (volume 84, number 1175, 4 Oct 1979, page 48)
- Hooked on telly tennis, or football? We've been carrying out some in-depth testing of (playing with) a TV games unit for you to build.
1992, Mudrooroo (Colin Johnson), Long live Sandawara, page 61:
- He finds them sitting at a small table holding a horizontal video tube and stands watching them play telly tennis.