Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /təˈnæs.ɪ.ti/
- (General American) IPA(key): /təˈnæsəti/
Audio (US) (file)
- Hyphenation: tena‧city
- The quality or state of being tenacious, or persistence of purpose; tenaciousness.
- The quality of bodies which keeps them from parting without considerable force, as distinguished from brittleness, fragility, mobility, etc.
- the effect of this attraction, cohesiveness.
- The quality of bodies which makes them adhere to other bodies; adhesiveness, viscosity.
- (physics) The greatest longitudinal stress a substance can bear without tearing asunder, usually expressed with reference to a unit area of the cross section of the substance, as the number of pounds per square inch, or kilograms per square centimeter, necessary to produce rupture.
- (state of being tenacious): tenaciousness, determination, persistency, retentiveness
- (quality keeping bodies together): cohesiveness
- (quality making bodies adhere): adhesiveness, viscosity
quality or state of being tenacious
quality of bodies which keeps them from parting without considerable force
greatest longitudinal stress a substance can bear without tearing asunder
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.