Jump to navigation Jump to search
throwaway (not comparable)
- Disposable; intended for a single use prior to being discarded.
- Water was provided in throwaway plastic bottles, but the more ecologically minded of us refilled our initial bottles from the fountain.
- As the film opens, a martial-drum-dominated version of the "Star Wars" theme and the inevitable bottom-to-top print crawl inform us that the Clone Wars, a conflict that originated as a throwaway line in the original 1977 film... http://www.nysun.com/arts/star-wars-clone-wars-painted-in-the-stars/83922/
- I was intrigued by the exchange in one of the opening scenes where the Warden says to Snake: "You flew the wing-five over Leningrad, didn't you?" It turns out to be just a throwaway line, but for a moment it worked like the best SF, where a casual reference can imply a lot. http://project.cyberpunk.ru/idb/gibson_interview.html
- Extemporaneous; off the cuff.
- The host made a throwaway remark about the president that was later repeated on the television news.
- Selected or used without care or attention. (Can we add an example for this sense?)
throwaway (plural throwaways)