Jump to navigation Jump to search
thunderbolt (plural thunderbolts)
- A flash of lightning accompanied by an instant crash of thunder.
- (figuratively) An event that is terrible, horrific or unexpected.
- the Scipios' worth, those thunderbolts of war
- Vehement threatening or censure; especially, ecclesiastical denunciation; fulmination.
- He severely threatens such with the thunderbolt of excommunication.
- (soccer) A very powerful shot.
- 2011 February 5, Michael Kevin Darling, “Tottenham 2 - 1 Bolton”, in BBC:
- Substitute Niko Kranjcar's injury-time thunderbolt gave Tottenham a dramatic win over Bolton.
- (paleontology) A belemnite, or thunderstone.
- (heraldry) A charge in the form of two joined bundles with four rays of lightning emerging from them, resembling the thunderbolt of Jupiter.
flash of lightning accompanied by thunder
an event that is terrible, horrific or unexpected