Jump to navigation Jump to search
thunderbolt (plural thunderbolts)
- A flash of lightning accompanied by a crash of thunder.
- (figuratively) An event that is terrible, horrific or unexpected.
- the Scipios' worth, those thunderbolts of war
- Vehement threatening or censure; especially, ecclesiastical denunciation; fulmination.
- He severely threatens such with the thunderbolt of excommunication.
- (soccer) A very powerful shot.
- 2011 February 5, Michael Kevin Darling, “Tottenham 2 - 1 Bolton”, in BBC:
- Substitute Niko Kranjcar's injury-time thunderbolt gave Tottenham a dramatic win over Bolton.
- (paleontology) A belemnite, or thunderstone.
- (heraldry) A charge in the form of two joined bundles with four rays of lightning emerging from them, resembling the thunderbolt of Jupiter.
- A daring or irresistible hero.
flash of lightning accompanied by thunder
an event that is terrible, horrific or unexpected