See also: trans-mat
transmat (plural transmats)
- (Britain, science fiction) A teleporter; a fictional device that transfers/transmits matter from one location to another without the object traversing the intervening distance as itself.
1970, Robert Silverberg, Tower of Glass:
- Three lines of workers began to vanish into the transmats, heading for their homes in the android compounds of five continents, […]
- 1975, Terry Nation, Genesis of the Daleks (Doctor Who, season 12, serial 4), opening dialogue:
- TIME LORD: Ah. Welcome, Doctor.
- DOCTOR: What's going on? Don't you realize how dangerous it is to intercept a transmat beam?
- TIME LORD: Oh, come, Doctor, not with our techniques. We Time Lords transcended such simple mechanical devices when the universe was less than half its present size.
- 1983, The Long Way Home (video game published with 16/48 Magazine)
- You are in a TRANS-MAT unit. You see a faulty control panel with a button on it.
- 2005, Russell T Davies, Bad Wolf (Doctor Who series 1, episode 12):
- LYNDA: Oh, that's the transmat. Scrambles your head — I was sick for days.