- (General American) IPA(key): /ʌnˈbɹoʊkn̩/
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ʌnˈbɹəʊkn̩/
Audio (US) (file)
- Hyphenation: un‧bro‧ken
From Middle English unbroken, from Old English unġebrocen (“unbroken”), equivalent to un- + broken. Cognate with Dutch ongebroken (“unbroken”), German Low German unbroken (“unbroken”), German ungebrochen (“unbroken”).
unbroken (not comparable)
- Whole, not divided into parts.
- After the vase had fallen down the flight of stairs we were amazed to find it still unbroken.
- Of a horse, not tamed.
- There is something majestic about the spirit of an unbroken mustang as it runs wild across the prairie.
- Continuous, without interruption.
- The team's unbroken winning streak was a record.
- (whole, not divided into parts): complete, entire, in one piece, undivided, whole
- (describing a horse): untamed, wild
- (continuous): continuous, uninterrupted
- (whole): broken, shattered, smashed, split
- (describing a horse): domesticated, tame, tamed
- (continuous): broken, interrupted